While The Gospel of Mark is the shortest gospel account, it is by no means less fascinating. In this course, we will take a journey in following Jesus by virtually visiting the sites recorded in the Gospel of Mark and examining what it reveals to us about Jesus and his followers. We will answer the following questions:
- Why are there so many conflicts between Jesus and the religious leaders in the beginning of his ministry (Mark 2:1-3:6)?
- Why does Mark often portray the disciples in a negative light (Mark 6:52; 7:18; 8:17-21; 9:5-7, 10, 32)?
- Why is it that Jesus often commands the people not to tell others about him (Mark 1:44; 3:12; 5:43; 7:24, 36; 8:26, 30; 9:9, 30)?
- Why is it that Mark seems to focus on a number of dramatic incidents involving Jesus in Gentile territories?
- How have recent archaeological discoveries helped us understand the message of Mark?
- What is Mark’s message to us as disciples of Jesus today?